I’ve got several works in progress and am – yet again – trying to make progress on them. I’ve completed several projects in between, but when a project is for me there is no impetus to complete it by a certain date. So it is put aside while I complete things for other people.
I started the Retro Flowers quilt in a class to learn how to use curves in quilts. I’ve mentioned the quilt in two previous posts:
So. Yes. I started this over a year ago. Well, today I FINALLY have all the blocks finished! With all the trimming, this quilt really suits a production line: it’s easy to lose track of what you’re doing. I must admit that it took me a while to figure out what I needed to do, what stage that various unfinished flowers were at, etc. But now they are ready to finally put them together, add the borders, then quilt. I’m busy next weekend, but hopefully I can at least get the flowers all together. Another positive note is that I had no trouble sewing the curve for the part of a block I had to redo. Progress!
I’m not usually keen on panel quilts, however when I was at the New Zealand Fabrics and Yarn shop while on holiday I bought a world map panel.
As soon as I saw it, I new I wanted to do a wall hanging for Sparky’s bedroom. We travel a bit, plus he has friends and family all over the world, so I want to quilt our trips onto the wall hanging as well as put place markers for friends and family. The nice thing is that I can add to it over time. So far I’ve stitched the lines of latitude and longitude in black, other lines such as the prime meridian in cream, and our trips in gold. The gold thread was. . .a challenge.
It is all bound and ready for the dowels to be put through so that it can hang – I just haven’t hung it yet. Or put buttons for where friends and family are. I’ll there (soon, I hope).
While on holiday in New Zealand, I bought some BEAUTIFUL wool at Holland Road Yarn Company. It is Zealana Rimu. It is a deep blue with a smoke haze to it. I LOVE it. I started off doing a patterned beanie, but the haze meant that the pattern didn’t show up as much as I wanted. So I just did a plain beanie to make the wool the ‘hero’ – but I’m not certain I like it. I’m going to take it to work and ask a friend. I’m happy to frog it if she doesn’t think it’s good enough for this wool. I LOVE it and don’t want to waste it onea mediocre beanie! I have enough for a cowl as well, but I want to have the beanie nailed first.
The 1st photo shows the colour; the 2nd photo shows the haze!
With difficulties getting all the colours for this (and I wanted all the colours so that it would go with the quilt I made for the same baby), the baby coming EARLY, and a trip to New Zealand, I was THRILLED to get this blanket finished before I went! I had to ask another friend to get it to the new mum for me, but FINISHED!!!!!
On Ravelry: Spud’s Chevron Baby Blanket
I have had this nagging idea for over a year – maybe 2? – to make a quilt 1) using solid colours and 2) quilting it with the same colour – so on the traditional ‘top’ you don’t see the quilting but on the verso you see ‘something’. I used this idea for a baby quilt for a friend in New Zealand.
The top is an equilateral triangles quilt, making 3D boxes in rainbow colours.
On the ‘verso’, you see the boxes again. The tops have a similar angular quilting, and for the other two sides of the boxes I would use a larger and smaller version of a free motion quilting pattern.
I loved making it, I love quilting it, but this is not the end of this idea!
Unfortunatley, it was not without its flaws. UUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!
I’m part of a group who knits and crochets things for the local hospital’s NICU & PICU wards and Ronald McDonald House. One of the members is a young woman who just a year or two ago was in the paediatric intensive care unit. She said that even though she was the oldest there, she was given a teddy bear – and loved it. She was a scared little girl being treated like an adult. So I wanted to make some dolls that might appeal to older children. I hope I did that.
On Ravelry: Knitted Doll on Ravelry
I completed two long-term WIPS, Rainbow Monkeys and Seville. Here’s Sparky with Rainbow Monkeysand Seville in the final stages of completion.
When I made the rainbow Kite Flight blanket for a friend’s baby, another friend said that if she ever had a baby she would like a quilt like it. So. . .here is the start of Rainbow Kite Flight II. It was a bit different in that I didn’t buy 1 1/2 in skinny strips; I cut 2 inch strips myself.
The top came together quite quickly, but it was a while until I actually finished the quilt.
A friend saw a knitted Viking helmut when she was in Melbourne. She and another friend were going on about how awesome it is. So, because I’m a loon, I made them some. Then when another friend saw the photos online, he wanted one as well. So I made one for him. Is there no end?!
I seem to have made good notes on Ravelry this time: Viking Helmust
As I mentioned in another post, the Australian school year finishes just days before Christmas – much too stressful a time to organise teacher gifts. So I made gifts for Sparky’s teacher in the middle of the year. She had mentioned that she loves using puppets in class, so somehow putting Sparky into the knit rugby top of the school uniform make me think of knitting – I could try to knit puppets in school uniform! I’m not quite sane.
I made then up as I went along, and I’m fairly happy with the end result. I’d do them differently if I were to do it over, but that’s the creative process!
Hmmm. . .looking back at the page on Ravelry, I thought I’d made lots of notes as I went but apparently not! Oh well. Knitted Puppets